Chestnut & Black Soybean Bolognese
400g (1 tin) organic peeled plum tomatoes, chopped
20g (4 tbsp) Black Soybean Powder (or replace with just 10g/ 2 tbsp of Mushroom Powder)
180g whole peeled chestnuts, finely chopped/diced
225g fresh baby plum tomatoes, diced
2 large garlic cloves, diced
Salt, pepper & dried chilli flakes to taste
A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tbsp tomato puree (adjusting to preferred thickness)
4 servings brown rice pasta OR Gaba rice
We love a new take on an old classic; particularly when the new take contains some ultra healthy secret ingredients!
Today we’re looking at a fully plant-based bolognese that’s as kind to your waistline as it is your taste-buds! This dish, created by vegan blogger Gem Bolton, combines our slimming Black Soybean powder with the mineral-rich (and low fat) chestnut. Gem explains, “the result is a winter warmer with all the texture of a traditional bolognese. Honestly, you could serve it to a meat eater and they wouldn’t know the difference! Not only is it totally delicious, it’s cholesterol-free and full of satiating fibre and protein.”
We love how with a minor tweak, this pasta topper can be turned into your new-favourite chilli con carne. Simply add more chilli flakes; switch 90g of peeled chestnuts for kidney beans, and serve with your choice of Sprouted Gaba Rice.
Quantity: serves 4.
1. On a medium heat and using a large saucepan, lightly sauté your garlic before adding the chopped peeled plum tomatoes, diced baby tomatoes and Black Soybean Powder. Stir to blend.
2. Chop the peeled chestnuts – or pulse in a mini food processor – to create a mince-like consistency. Add to pan and stir gently to mix.
3. Season with salt, pepper & dried chilli flakes. Mix again.
4. Cook your pasta in a separate pan as per the packet’s instructions. I recommend brown rice pasta.
5. Occasionally stir your bolognese until it’s fully heated.
6. Once cooked, serve in large pasta bowls or plates. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil to finish.