Chunky Veg & Lentil Stew with Sprouted Jasmine Rice
1 onion, diced into chunks
1 mini white cabbage, sliced/ shredded
Head of 1 broccoli, chopped into chunks
250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
100g fresh baby tomatoes, sliced
400g tinned peeled plum tomatoes
280g lentils (cooked or ready to cook)
2 handfuls fresh spinach
6 tbsp puree
2 cups vegetable broth
Juice 1/2 lemon
1 tsp chilli flakes
A generous handful of fresh parsley (heads only)
Himalayan salt and cracked black pepper to preference
4 servings Organic Sprouted GABA Rice (we used the Jasmine)
Would you take a quick peek at that ingredients list? Go on, count the goodness that lurks within this nourishing dish!
Now it’s time to let you into a secret! Not only is the kind of meal we all need in our autumn-winter repertoire, it’s got a special something going for it…
If you read ‘All the Facts on GABA Rice‘, you may remember that spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, corn, lentils, cabbage, parsley, and broccoli are each rich in glutamate – one of the primary precursors to our own GABA production. Science lessons aside (it is a Sunday after all), we’re serving you a meal that will calm your mind as it warms your body!
Ready to soothe your soul?! (Makes 4 large servings)
1. Cook your Organic Sprouted GABA Rice as per the packet instructions.
2. Sauté your onion in 1 tbsp oil (we used coconut); warm until golden (5-10 minutes).
3. Add the lemon juice, parsley and chilli, plus your broccoli and cabbage. Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring gently from time to time.
4. Next, add your stock, lentils (if not pre-cooked), and tinned tomatoes, plus tomato puree and all remaining vegetables (bar the fresh spinach). Stir thoroughly and bring to a bubble.
5. Turn the temperature down; cover with a lid or foil and simmer for 30-40 minutes; until the vegetables are to your preferred softness.
6. In the final 5 minutes: add the fresh spinach and stir again. If using pre-cooked lentils, add these now!
6. Season to preference and serve. We like to spoon the stew into bowls before topping each with a serving of Organic Sprouted GABA Rice and a sprig of parsley.
Show us your stew! We want to see your pics on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!
* WANT A FULL-SIZE FREEBIE?! Check out your GABA Rice shopping incentive.*
Finally, don’t forget to sign up now for free Monthly Minvita Mail. You’ll benefit from exclusive Minvita discounts & giveaways, plus many wellness tips & recipes!