Soul Namaste Kitchen's Energy Balls
1 cup chunky oats
1 tbsp agave syrup
2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 cup cacao nibs
1 1/2 cups coconut water
1 tbsp chia seeds (for texture)
1 tbsp milled flaxseeds (for fibre and binding)
For the topping:
125g dark chocolate
1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1/2 tsp agave syrup (not essential)
Allow us to introduce today’s Minvita magician and Instagram star in the making (remember, you heard it here first!), Ebony of Soul Namaste Kitchen.
Ebony describes her page as ‘a tiny keyhole of her life depicted through her love of good, clean, healthy food’ and we just love what she’s doing. Alongside many cacao-filled creations, you’ll find a rainbow of savoury dishes and a rare glimpse of Hagrid the cat.
We’re sure you’ll join us in urging Ebony to launch a recipe blog on tasting her whole food energy balls. This is Ebony’s snack of choice to fuel her 10K charity race training. And here’s how she makes them:
Quantity: makes 6 balls
1. In a saucepan, add your oats, syrup, spice, chia seeds, flax and coconut water and heat gently until a sort of sticky, pliable, ‘dough’ is formed. Turn off the heat and stir in the cacao nibs.
2. Once cool enough to handle, roll into balls (this recipe makes 6) and leave to set.
3. In the meantime, melt the chocolate over a Bain-Marie. Once melted, stir in your peanut butter and agave.
4. One by one, roll the cooled balls through the melted chocolate and place on a greaseproof-papered plate.
5. Sprinkle the coconut flakes on top for decoration and leave to set in the fridge for an hour and a half.
Note: these energy balls veer towards the bitter. So, if you have a sweeter tooth simply add more agave. Or, if you wish, you can use honey instead. You can also switch to your preferred choice of topping chocolate if you don’t like dark! 🙂
Thank you so much for sharing, and best of luck with your training, Ebony! Everyone, you can show your thanks for the recipe by giving Ebony some tags, likes and follows on Instagram, and by helping get her fundraising going via Just Giving.